- Join 7-Eleven in Supporting Ukraine Relief
- Then and Now – A 1990 Newspaper Article About the Plight of 7-Eleven Franchisees Still Rings True
- FTC Commissioner Headlines 45th National Coalition Convention
- 7-Eleven Franchisees Press for Penalty-Free Relief from 24-Hour Mandate
- National Coalition Calls on SEI to Reverse Decision on 24/7 Operating Hours
In-Store Retail Sales Rise to Pre-pandemic Levels
In-store Retail Sales Rise to Pre-pandemic Levels, as E-Commerce Growth Slows, Reports NPD
In-store sales made up 64% of total sales in September 2021
Port Washington, N.Y., November 29, 2021 – The steady, gradual growth of e-commerce dramatically accelerated during the pandemic, elevating the amount consumers spent shopping online to almost equal the amount consumers spent in stores. Now, with brick-and-mortar stores open across the U.S., online revenue growth is slowing down. At the same time, physical store sales have increased, rising to 64% of all retail sales in September 2021, according to The NPD Group.
“Physical stores are more relevant today than they were before the pandemic,” said Marshal Cohen, chief retail industry advisor for NPD. “Consumers are no longer buying primarily out of necessity and limited to online shopping which fell short of some expectations — choice has reentered the equation and they are hungrier than ever for the experience of in-person shopping.”
During the first year of the pandemic, between April 2020 and March 2021, e-commerce year-over-year revenue growth exceeded 40% every month, but it has mostly remained under 10% since that time. In-store gains over last year entered double-digit territory, beginning in March 2021, only dipping slightly in two of the six months that followed.
Even with the challenges presented by the pandemic, Black Friday kept its ranking as the top in-store shopping day of the holiday season last year. Black Friday also retained a top three position when it came to the season’s ecommerce activity, while Cyber Monday fell behind Amazon’s Prime Day event in October 2020 as the top online shopping day of the holidays.
“Retailers can no longer be one-dimensional sellers,” Cohen said. “If it is not already apparent, the 2021 holiday season will only underscore the importance of making online and physical entities interconnect, in order to optimize the consumer connection.”
NPD’s Checkout service offers robust data for tracking and improving performance across all channels plus buyer analytics to help businesses keep current customers and win new ones. Over 150,000 actively engaged buyers, the largest omnichannel panel focused on general merchandise and foodservice, provide us with receipt-based information on their in-store and e-commerce purchases. With comprehensive data from the same consumers over time, Checkout illuminates trends in behavior including migration to shopping online by category and consumer demographics. Buyer analytics deliver insight into most valuable customers, brand loyalty, brand leakage / lift, brand launches, and more.
- Investor Urges 7-Eleven Parent Company to Focus on C-store Chain…csnews.com
- 7-Eleven Rolls Out Spring Beverage Lineup…csnews.com
- 7-Eleven Adds Its Popular Restaurant Concepts to Speedway Stores…Convenience Store News
- 7-Eleven Parent to Revamp Board of Directors Amid Activist Investor Pressure…Convenience Store News
- Two Convenience Store Retailers Earn Spots on Top 50 Global Retailers List…Convenience Store News
- 7-Eleven Welcomes Spring Season With Two New Beverages…CSNews
- How to Get Takeoff for New Products…Convenience Store News
- 7-Eleven's Global Network Hits Milestone…Convenience Store News
- Three C-store Chains Make the 2022 Franchise 500 List…Convenience Store News
- 7-Eleven Earns Recognition for Its Digital Transformation…Convenience Store News
- 7-Eleven Joins Shipt Marketplace…Convenience Store News
- Tobacco Companies Speak Out Against FDA Menthol Ban…Convenience.org
- FTC Extends Deadline for Comment on Supply Chain Disruptions…Convenience Store News
- Federal Tobacco 21 law is now in effect…CS News
- 7-Eleven franchisees seek stronger government oversight…CSP Daily News
- FDA Restrictions on E-Cigs Imminent …CSP News
- US District Court rules in favor of FDA's right to require new cigar health-statement warnings …CSP Daily News